While Lizards may help in getting rid of all kinds of gnarly bugs and insects from your house but the presence of these slithery lizards is quite unsettling and urges you to get rid of lizards. We hate to see this creature with beady eyes crawling on our beautiful walls. So if you or any of your house members are scared of lizards or if you don’t want these creepy creatures spoiling the stylish look your beautiful house, then it becomes necessary to get rid of lizards.
Why Get Rid Of Lizards Naturally?
- Natural ways are easy and cost-effective
- harmless to pets and children
- Chemical repellents contain harmful ingredients
- Materials required are easily found in kitchen or market
- Natural ways are Eco-friendly
For Indian Users(Amazon.in): [maxbutton id=”1″ url=”https://amzn.to/2C8qc4Q” ]
Before you start with this list to get rid of lizards, clean out the piles of newspaper, magazines, laundry, messy kitchen and throw out the garbage as soon as possible.
So here are some natural and effective ways that work wonders against these filthy creatures and get rid of lizards.
1. Coffee Powder Balls
For Indian Users(Amazon.in): [maxbutton id=”1″ url=”https://amzn.to/2WK8Wg9″ ]
Note: This method may kill lizards.
You need to simply mix tobacco and coffee powder completely and make balls out of these. Keep the prepared balls on every corner of the house and the places where lizards hide the most like behind the shelves or cupboards or the spots from which lizards may enter your house. After eating these balls the lizards may either die or run away from your house.
If the lizards die then make sure to throw their bodies out of the house as they are highly poisonous. This method also works for getting rid of ants.
2. Naphthalene Balls
For Indian Users(Amazon.in): [maxbutton id=”1″ url=”https://amzn.to/334lS2B” ]
Naphthalene balls not only keep small bugs and insects from our homes but they are also good to get rid of lizards. The pungent smell of the naphthalene makes the lizards feel irritated and they leave the area without causing any problem.
Place the naphthalene balls –
- in your wardrobe, cupboards
- corners of the house
- the entrance to their dwelling
- bathroom or kitchen sinks
- yard/porch of the house
Please note that instead of naphthalene balls, mothballs can also be used.
3. Peacock Feathers
Peacock feathers serve more than just interior decoration. They are one of the easiest and simplest hacks to get rid of lizards. This remedy is effective as peacock eats lizards so they scare them.
Place peacock feathers where you generally see lizards or at the entrance of your house. This scares them away and keeps the place free of lizards.
4. Homemade Pepper Spray
Surely, pepper spray can be a handy weapon against those creepy stalkers around you (girls) but they also do a great job to get rid of lizards, thanks to their spicy odor. This pepper spray can be easily made at home and here is the recipe –
You need –
- chili powder
- black pepper powder
- spray bottle
Follow these steps –
- Fill the spray bottle with water sufficient for your task
- Add 2 teaspoons of black pepper powder
- Add 1 teaspoon of chili powder to the mixture
- Shake well the bottle and mix it thoroughly
Your pepper spray is ready to use now. Spray it in –
- kitchen racks and sinks
- under the stove, fridge and gas stove
- tube light corners
- lizard’s hiding places
- ceilings and walls
5. Ice Cold Water
Lizards love to live in warm places and their temperature sensitivity further makes this way an effective one. This is one of the easiest and highly used methods to get rid of lizards.
So whenever you see a lizard just throw ice cold water on it. This makes it immobile for some time and you can catch it using the cardboard box trap.
You might have used flypapers to catch flies, now use them to catch lizards. These papers should be attached to the walls of the places frequented by the lizards like the corner portions of the walls, and places close to the lights. The lizards will get trapped by the flypaper. Now, you can get rid of the lizard without any hassle.
7. Tabasco Sauce Spray
For Indian Users(Amazon.in): [maxbutton id=”1″ url=”https://amzn.to/2NbWe6F” ]
Tabasco sauce might have made your spaghetti delicious but it is a nightmare for lizards. It’s smell keep lizards away permanently. Just like pepper spray, lizards don’t like the smell of Tabasco sauce. It causes them irritation.
Mix 2 teaspoons of the sauce with water and fill it in a spray bottle. Shake the mixture well and spray it behind the cupboards, wardrobes, and shelves or where the lizards are often found.
8. Onion or Onion Juice
This might make you feel that lizards are the most allergic creature in this world. But this might be true owing to their allergic reaction to Onions. Onions contain sulfur compounds which are responsible for bad odor-causing irritation to lizards.
Place slices of the onion where lizards reside or on doors and windows. You can even prepare a mixture with Onion Juice and water and spray the same in different parts of the house. This is something which is sure to make the lizards vacant the home.
9. Garlic or Garlic Juice
We have been using garlic as a key flavoring ingredient in cooking due to its appealing smell. But lizards hate the pungent smell of garlic and run away from it.
Hang some garlic cloves around the house, entrance areas, windows or someplace where lizards are often seen. This might sound weird to you.
Alternatively, you can use homemade Garlic Juice mixed with water just like we did for pepper spray and garlic juice to get rid of lizards. Spray this solution near the lizard-prone areas.
Now you would be thinking that which body part a lizard would find not to be blessed with or to be removed. You must have guessed it right-The Nose.
This is a highly trusted remedy to get rid of lizards as you might have heard it from your granny or old aunts. The odor of eggshells will make the lizards assume that another organism is present in the area and they go away from that area.
After you have used the eggs for making the omelet, take the eggshells and place them in the corner of your house, windows, door or other lizard premises. You should keep them until there are no signs of any lizard.
11. Phenyl Tablets
For Indian Users(Amazon.in): [maxbutton id=”1″ url=”https://amzn.to/33b0WXJ” ]
Again we are going expose the odor sensitivity of lizards with phenyl tablets to drive them away. Keep the phenyl in hiding areas of lizards, corners of the house and at all the possible entryways of your house. The smell of phenyl repels the lizards and keeps them away from your house.
Lemongrass due to its citrus smell helps to get rid of lizards. It also drives away insects. Also, citrus smell is a far better smell to have in your house than that of garlic or onion.
3 easy ways to use lemongrass are –
- Spray a few drops of lemongrass essential oil in your house where lizards are likely to visit frequently. Do it another time when the smell goes away.
- Another way is to burn a pile of lemongrass and move it around the house. The smell will make the lizards move out as soon the smell reaches them. You can do this twice a week.
- You can also hang used teabag of lemongrass in your house at places which are lizard prone.
This one is for the daredevils and for those who are not least scared of lizards. Just grab a cardboard box or carton and trap lizards. This is the fastest method to get rid of lizards. This is Damn Easy and Simple.
14. Keep your House Clean
Lizards eat small insects and flies and they enter our house in search of these little bugs. So a clean house is an ultimate way to get rid of lizards. This is the reason that lizards are usually seen near lamps as these are the ideal places to find flies and small insects. Some tips to a clean house are –
- Regularly remove piles of newspapers and laundry
- Never let cobwebs to be present on walls so that there is no food for lizards
- Sweep and mop the floors every day, especially after meals.
- Drain outstanding water to avoid lizards and mosquitoes
- Timely clean places behind the furniture and shelves
We all know that “Prevention is better than cure“.So here are some Do’s and Dont’s that you should follow regularly to keep lizards away from your house –
Also, Check Top 11 Ways to Remove Splinter Naturally:- Click Here
- Ensure a proper sanitation system for your house.
- Close all holes and cracks in the walls which may act as an entrance to these nasty creatures. Block these openings with sealants.
- Keep furniture at least 5-6 inches away from the walls.
- If you are a cat lover, this is the option for you to get rid of lizards. Cats keep all sorts of pests away from the house.
- Switch off the lights when not in use as lights attract lizards, bugs, flies etc.
- You can use metal screens to cover the window openings and keep your house lizard-free.
- Keep the exterior doors and windows closed.
- Standing water is the breeding ground for mosquitoes and bugs which can attract lizards.
- Avoid spilling food and drinks on the floor.
- Do not keep the trash can filled for a long time.
- You can also avoid hanging a lot of pictures in your house as lizards love these as hiding places.
You are bound to found a least a single lizard in your house. There are many natural remedies you can try ranging from coffee powder to eggshells, garlic, and onion. It depends on your choice which way you want to use. If a single remedy doesn’t work for you, try out a combination of them.
So Best of luck with your task to get rid of lizards. I hope that it works out really nice and quick for you to keep your house safe and lizard-free. Don’t Forget to Share it with Your Friends.